Balmiki Jayanti is the birthday celebration of Maharishi Valmiki who is the author of Indian epic Ramayana. Valmiki is celebrated as the harbinger-poet in Sanskrit literature. Maharishi Valmiki Jayanti is Hindu holiday much celebrated throughout India.
Valmiki Jayanti marks the birth anniversary of Sage Valmiki. As per Hindu lunar calendar, Valmiki Jayanti is celebrated on the full moon day of Ashvin month, which falls in the month of September or October according to the Gregorian calendar. And this year, Valmiki Jayanti falls on October 24, 2018.
Interesting facts about Maharishi Valmiki: Balmiki Jayanti
- Maharishi Valmiki is the first poet of Sanskrit literature. He is also known as Adi Kavi.
- He is the only person in ancient India who is the scholar in both Sanskrit and Tamil.
- Maharishi Valmiki in his early life was a highway dacoit named Ratnakar, who used to rob people after killing them.
- There is a community called Balmiki community who worship Valmiki as their ancestor and god. This community is found in Gujarat, Punjab, and Rajasthan.
- The Maharishi Valmiki temple in Thiruvanmiyur in Chennai is believed to be around 1300 years old.
- His first disciples to whom he taught the Ramayan were Kush and Luv, the sons of Rama.
- The epic Ramayan has been composed by Maharishi Valmiki which has 24507 chapters.
- According to Vishnudharmoltara Purana, Valmiki was born as a form of Vishnu. Those desire to earn knowledge should worship him.