Old Goa is located on the banks of river Mandovi. Velha Goa or Old Goa was founded in the 15th century as a port town by the rulers of the Bijapur Sultanate. Goa attracts hundreds and thousands of visitors from all over the world every year because of its warm beaches, cool waters, ancient churches, and majestic forts. Old Goa has many iconic landmarks from Grand Basilicas, tombs, and churches to modern museums. This old city is rich in culture, religious practices, and historical past. Regardless of the fact that it is considered to be India’s fun capital, Goa also bears the label of ‘Rome of the East’. One can spend the whole morning, afternoon or evening just walking around exploring the ancient places and heritage churches that is riddled with history and heritage of Old Goa. | Churches to visit in Old Goa |
Best Churches to visit in Old Goa
Basilica of Bom Jesus is one of the oldest church in the state located in Old Goa. It was built in the 16th century with flaunting impressive Jesuit and Baroque architecture. Now, the Basilica of Bom Jesus is labeled as a World Heritage Monument. This Basilica of Bom Jesus church is a true example of Baroque architecture.
Se Cathedral de Santa Catarina is famous as Se Cathedral with amazing Iberian architecture. It is the largest church in Asia which was built in the 16th century. This church is dedicated to St. Catherine and was built to commemorate the victory of Afonso Albuquerque and belongs to the Archbishop of Goa.
Church of St. Francis of Assisi is an impressive Roman Catholic church which was built in 1661 by the Portuguese architects. It is located in Vella area of Old Goa. The structure of the church is built with laterite blocks and is lime-plastered. The exterior of the St. Francis of Assisi church is Muscan styled architecture and the interior is Manueline.
St. Augustine’s tower was built between 1597 and in 1602 by the Augustinian friars who landed in Goa during the year 1597. The church was abandoned in 1835. It is completely associated with the famed Norsa Senhora de Graca church which was built by the Augustinian Friars sometime in the early 17th century. The St. Augustine church included eight, richly decorated chapels, innumerable altars, and a few chambers all designed by an Italian architect.